Thursday, November 24, 2011

I Say: I Am Thankful

This is my first Thanksgiving, and I've only been around for 3+ weeks, but I already have a lot of reasons to be thankful. Here are just a few.
  • People love babies. Mom and Dad told me to expect our family and friends to be great, but even they were surprised at how wonderful strangers are with me. I hear that New York is a crazy, fast paced, impersonal place, but I have found it to be very warm and friendly. Old, young, black, white, male, female - people are all so nice when I'm around. When I take the subway with Mom and Dad, or when we walk down the street, people are constantly slowing to congratulate them or say how beautiful I am. On Monday, Dad was walking down the street and a homeless man simply said "congratulations". Dad said that normally his interaction with that man might have been very different, so I'm glad that my presence made it nicer.
  • My family. I can already tell that I'm part of an amazing family. All my aunties, uncles and cousins are so kind to me. I've met some already, and I can't wait to meet the rest. Today I even Skyped with Grammie in Jamaica. 
  • My friends. Mom and Dad think those people are their friends, but they just hang around to be closer to me. They visit me, hold me, feed mom and dad, bring me presents, and are just generally kind. 
  • Mom is feeling better. As I mentioned in previous posts, my arrival was not only early, but it was hard on Mom. Thankfully, her doctor says she's going to be fine, and she's doing much better already. She takes very good care of me and never complains even when she's really tired (which is pretty much all the time), so I want to make sure that she's doing OK. 
  • I'm named for my grandfather. I never met my grandfather, but Dad tells me that he was a great guy and that he would have loved me. His name was Sy, and my parents named me Simon because of him. I know that means a lot to Dad. 
  • Carrot cake. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready for the stuff yet, but from what I can see, it's Mom's main fuel supply. And since she's my main fuel supply, I want Mom to be well taken care of. 
Most of all, I'm excited to go to my first Thanksgiving dinner. I get to see Auntie Rachel and Grandma Aunt Carole again, and I get to meet a bunch more friends and family that I've been hearing about. Originally Mom and Dad didn't expect to be able to go to Thanksgiving this year because I was due to arrive this week, bur now we're all able to go. That's just one more reason to be thankful. 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we're thankful for you, Simon! Happy Thanksgiving! I can't wait to meet you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy thanksgiving! Gramma Aunt Sandy sends love to you all. You are healthy, beautiful, and named for your amazing Grampa Sy, who would have been so proud of you. Much to be thankful for, especially with Mom feeling so much better, one. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete